Saturday, February 16, 2008

A Ducky and a Horsey

I was taking a stroll through the park with my friend the space alien. It's only his second visit to Earth, and the first time he's really had a chance to get away from the diplomatic meetings and trade shows, so I suggested a little nature walk and he was up for it. We spent most of the time swapping the names of plants, ours and the ones from his planet that looked most like the Earth
version.

We were crossing a bridge in the center of the park when he looked up at the sky and froze, transfixed by the sight of something. I followed his stare, but all I saw was clouds.

"Don't you have clouds on your planet?" I asked him.

"Oh, sure," he replied (his grasp of informal speech is getting good). "We have all sorts of clouds. Big and billowy, pale and wispy, the whole gamut, or so I thought. But I was wrong."

"How so?" I asked.

"Well," he said, turning to me and pointing. "These clouds . . . I can see pictures in them!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pictures in clouds? The last time I saw pictures in clouds my biochemistry had temporarily been altered in subtle, yet powerful ways. But now that you mention it I don't remember my kids picking out shapes from clouds. Teevee? Video games? VCR? Yeah, probably.

Is there a correlation between the disappearance of cloud images and the slow transformations that effect change on "towheaded kid(s) with the ear-to-ear grin"?

James Killus said...

Is there a correlation between the disappearance of cloud images and the slow transformations that effect change on "towheaded kid(s) with the ear-to-ear grin"?

Apparently not for me. I still see cloud pictures whenever there are clouds to see, even sometimes from a uniform haze. But that's just me.